A fair amount of overseas Vietnamese (Việt Kiều) Buddhists grow up with variations of these animated stories below as shared by our parents and now they are available in high definition animations as visual treats. Rejoice and many thanks to Aputi Digital Art Design for releasing their animated Buddhist web series for our current generation. In Chinese with English subtitles.
Title reference notes provided for kids and their parents to relate to one another with translated Sanskrit names and terms (also used in English) to Vietnamese.
- Buddha when referenced in the title is referring to lord Śākyamuni Buddha’s dharma teachings and Śākyamuni is name of Phật Thích Ca
- Amitābha Buddha is the name of Phật A Di Đà
- Amitāyus Buddha (also known as Infinite Life Buddha or Boundless Life) is the name of Phật Vô Lượng Thọ
- Maitreya (The next future Buddha) is the name of Phật Di Lặc
- Bodhisattva is a Bồ Tát
- Avalokiteśvara Bodhisattva is the name of Quan Âm Bồ Tát
- Great Compassion Mantra is Chú Đại Bi
- Mañjuśrī Bodhisattva is the name of Văn Thù Sư Lợi Bồ Tát
- Kṣitigarbha Bodhisattva (also known as both Earth Store or Bright Eyes Bodhisattva) is the name of Địa Tạng Bồ Tát
- Samantabhadra Bodhisattva is the name Phổ Hiền Bồ Tát
- Virtues is Đức
- Vow is Nguyện
- Sūtra is Kinh
- Bhikṣuṇī (Nun) is Tỳ Kheo Ni
- Brahman is Đại Ngã
- Offerings is Cúng Dường
- Dhāraṇī (Long Mantra) is Đà-La-Ni hay Đà-Ra-Ni và Chân Ngôn
- Maha (Great) is Ma Ha Tát
PARENTAL DISCRETION ADVISED for some but not all of the animated videos depict graphic, painful suffering to emphasis the importance of natural karmic actions and retribution. Only recommended for kids 13 years old and up. The first video of Kṣitigarbha Bodhisattva is one of these videos along with any of the video titles mentioning hell.
There are 4 more Aputi Digital Art Design collections with additional animated content:
- The Story of Amitābha Buddha: Contains the Amitābha Sūtra, Amitāyus Meditation Sūtra, Infinite Life Sūtra and The Practices and Vows of Bodhisattva Samantabhadra Sūtra.
- The Story of Avalokiteśvara Bodhisattva: Contains “The Story of Great Compassion Dhāraṇī” and the story of OM MANI PADME HUM mantra.
- Kṣitigarbha (Earth Store Bodhisattva): Talks about Karmic Retribution, Heavenly Trāyastriṃśa and the Continent Jambudvīpa.
- Lotus Sūtra: Chapter 25 – Avalokiteśvara Bodhisattva
- The Life of the Lord Buddha (Full Biography): Animation in English