- These traditional flags are crafted with fine quality satin meant to blow and wear in the wind
- The gradual disintegration of each flag represents spreading and transfer of goodwill into all pervading space
- Colors of the flag represent the five elements of space, air, water, fire and earth
- Each flag is designed with vibrant colors and intricate artwork promoting peace, compassion, strength, and wisdom
- Print design may vary slightly from the pictured images due to handcrafted manufacturing, but all versions include the Lung ta (Wind Horse), traditional mantras and deities
Traditionally, prayer flags are used to promote peace, compassion, strength, and wisdom. The flags do not carry prayers to gods, which is a common misconception; rather, the Tibetans believe the prayers and mantras will be blown by the wind to spread the good will and compassion into all pervading space. Therefore, prayer flags are thought to bring benefit to all. By hanging flags in high places the Lung ta will carry the blessings depicted on the flags to all beings. As wind passes over the surface of the flags, which are sensitive to the slightest movement of the wind, the air is purified and sanctified by the mantras. Surrounding the Lung ta are various versions of approximately 400 traditional mantras, each dedicated to a particular deity. These writings include mantras from three of the great Buddhist Bodhisattvas: Padmasambhava (Guru Rinpoche), Avalokiteśvara (Chenrezig, the bodhisattva of compassion, and the patron of the Tibetan people), and Manjusri. In addition to mantras, prayers for a long life of good fortune are often included for the person who mounts the flags.
Product Dimensions: 13.5 x 2 x 2 inches
Item Weight: 5.6 ounces